- Mrs King's Christmas Cake Recipe
7th October 2019
- What can farmers expect from the new Environmental Land Management Scheme?
25th September 2019
- King West Residential Property Estate Agent, East Midlands
20th August 2019
- Demystifying the Sale Process
1st August 2019
- Position Filled - Shoot Manager Advert
22nd July 2019
16 March 2016
New to market: The Manor, Ashley, Market Harborough
ASHLEY • MARKET HARBOROUGH • LE16 8HE
One of the finest Manor Houses in the Welland Valley, listed Grade II, with stabling, swimming pool, grass tennis court and pasture land, with river frontage in all about 30.2 acres, has been brought to the market for sale today.
The accommodation comprises of:
Reception Hall • Drawing Room Dining Room • Sitting Room • Cloakroom • Cellar Breakfast Kitchen • Pantry • Back Hall • 2 Offices • Utility/Boot Room • Principal Bedroom with En suite Bathroom • Guest Bedroom and En suite • 4 Bedrooms • 2 Bathrooms • Attic Rooms • Swimming Pool • Grass Tennis Court • Landscaped Gardens and Grounds • Garaging • Outbuildings • Stabling • Paddocks • Pasture Land
Ashley is considered to be one of the most attractive Welland Valley villages in highly accessible and yet un-spoilt countryside. The village contains an active village hall, farm shop and an 12th century parish church, part designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, famous for the design of St Pancras station. Superfast fibre broadband is available in Ashley. The neighbouring village of Medbourne has a post office/village shop. The market town of Market Harborough is some six miles and provides a good array of everyday shopping facilities. There is a main line rail link from Market Harborough to London St Pancras International in under an hour. Communications in the area are excellent with good links to Leicester, Peterborough and Kettering. The A14 dual carriageway provides rapid road access both east (A1) and west (M1). International air travel is available at East Midlands Airport, Birmingham, Stansted and Luton.
Recreational facilities in the area are excellent with Rutland Water set to the north, between Uppingham and Oakham. This provides sailing and fishing with scenic walks and Rutland Water cycle route. Educational facilities nearby are renowned with preparatory and primary education at Wilbarston, Bringhurst, Spratton, Oakham and Stamford. Secondary education is available at Market Harborough, Uppingham, Oakham, Stamford, Oundle and Leicester.
The Reverend Richard Pulteney, rector from 1853-1874 and Squire, did a great deal to enhance the village and was responsible for remodelling The Manor. He commissioned EF Law, a 19th century architect, responsible for a large number of projects in the counties of Northamptonshire, Leicestershire and Rutland. There is a plaque in the stonework with the inscription “Restored 1865”. The Manor is listed Grade II and is mentioned by Sir Nikolaus Pevsner’s, authoritative guide ‘The Buildings of England’ to be of historical and architectural interest. It is also purported that the drawing room was used as a Court Room for Manorial purposes.
An excerpt from The Times, London on Thursday 20 July 1815 describes the property as ‘Freehold Landed Estate and Manor extending over 1700 acres of land, pleasantly situated in the rural village of Ashley and within a few miles of Lord Althorpe’s and Mr Smith’s covers and Lord Soude’s hounds’. ‘The sale of the estate taking place at the popular Swan Inn’ (now known as The Three Swans in Market Harborough).
A fine Manor house listed Grade II and dating from around the late 17th century, constructed of coursed ironstone and a Collyweston slate roof. A long driveway, sweeps by the detached garaging and up to the courtyard with ample parking area. The driveway forks off to the stabling and one of the paddocks.
The Manor is an extremely attractive family home, set in an idyllic position in the village, within its own beautifully landscaped gardens and grounds. The well- proportioned accommodation is arranged over three floors. Fine period features throughout include, oak panel walls, deep cornice, high ceilings, exposed beams, open fireplaces, cast iron grates, attractive fireplaces in bedrooms, flagstone floors, tiled floors, deep skirting, original house and staff call bells and a unique spice cupboard in the breakfast kitchen. In brief, the accommodation: Reception hall, drawing room, dining room, cellar, cloakroom, sitting room, breakfast kitchen, back hall, pantry, two offices, boot room, principal bedroom suite, guest bedroom suite, a further four bedrooms, two bathrooms and two attic rooms (planning permission to convert the two attic rooms to bedrooms).
A long tree lined drive, bisects the manicured lawns and orchard, sweeping around by the garaging and to a cobble and brick courtyard. The drive forks around to the detached stabling, terminating at a gate to one of the paddocks. Arranged around the courtyard are useful storage Outbuildings. The more formal pedestrian approach to The Manor is via stone steps and a pea gravel path, which passes through neat lawns. The front elevation in spring and summer months is adorned with Wisteria and Virginia Creeper.
The mature landscaped gardens are delightful and have been designed with great thought, with neat lawns, meandering pathways, deep, well stocked herbaceous borders, specimen trees, clipped hedges and mellow stone and brick walls. The Orchard has a variety of fruit trees to include apple, pear, quince, plum and mulberry. There is a substantial Kitchen Garden and Soft Fruit Garden and dotted around the gardens, discreet compost bins. There is a substantial Terrace with an outdoor Swimming Pool with Roman end and to one corner a Summer House.
The Grass Tennis Court is in the lea of the Church and gentle sloping lawns. The Detached Stables and Yard have Three Stables, a Tack Room, Hay store and Barn/Garage and easy access to Two Paddocks. The remainder of the Pasture Land extends over a hill with a magnificent 360° view of the Welland Valley, and then passes over the old railway track to a field with a frontage on the River Welland.
In all the Gardens, Paddocks and Pasture Land amount to about 30.2 acres (12.2 ha).
The property may only be inspected by prior appointment through King West’s offices, telephone 01858 435970.